Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Time for culture shock!!!

As I enjoy my last few days here, I've come to realize I'm in for a few "culture" shocks when I return:

1. Food, espeically fresh fruit and vegetables, are exceptionally cheap and fresh!!! I've been paying less than 10 cents an orange and a quarter for a pound of strawberries. The other day I bought a "tres leches cake" (a tradiational type of mexican cake which is similar to a white cake in the US soaked with three different types of cream....MMMMMM) beautifully decorated for 60 pesos (which is about 4 dollars). I have also continued to enjoy the wonderful fresh bread and baked goods at the bakery by my house...I am a very loyal customer!!!

2. Weather back in the midwest is going to seem brutal!!! For the past month, it was been between 75 and 85 and sunny with not a cloud in the sky every day.

3. I will actually have to wake up early again and be on time to where I'm going. The daily schedule here is a late, light dinner, go to bed at midnight or later, and wake up around 8 AM. Things here are also truly on "mexican time," and it's expected to be at least 10 to 15 minutes late to everything...without an excuse or reason to feel bad!!!

4. I have been extremely spoiled by not having to buy a tank of gas for the past two months and REALLY love being able to walk or take the bus anywhere I need to go. I haven't had to deal with traffic jams or accidents either...how nice that has been!!!

5. I also have had a two month break from doing laundry. Here I've been taking my laundry to the lavanderia...and it comes back clean and neatly folded (but of course costs a TON...but no other choice).