Thursday, February 26, 2009

I didn't realize I hadn't really written anything this wk until today. ANYWAYS, Sunday I visited the childhood home of Diego Rivera, a very famous artist, that grew up in Guanajuato. His childhood home has been turned into a beautiful little museum, and it has some of his original paintings and sketches he did before he became well-known.

It has been an emotionally-difficult week at the clinic, yet very rewarding. Monday, I spent a good part of my morning working with a young guy about my age that is now paralyzed and severely mentally impaired following a car accident. His family was wonderful, and his sister is a MD in town, which is why, considering his situation and the resources there are for people in Mexico, he was in pretty good condition. Tuesday, I helped with a therapy group for infants with Down's Syndrome and other types of severe mental and physical disabilities. It was really sad thinking about the incredibly HUGE obstacles those babies and their family's face in the future.


Today, after my volunteer work, I went to have lunch with the Rios Family. Their son, Zeek, was a classmate and friend of mine from school here. He is studying in Guanajuato for the semester for university credit back in the US. His parents and younger sister are also living here for the semester, as his parents are able to do their work from here, and his sister, Natalia, is going to a mexican high school for the semester to improve her spanish. They are the nicest people, and the funny thing is, they are from WI and both parents went to Carroll College....really what are the chances????? Anyways, they invited myself and two other students from school over for lunch at their house which they are renting. The house was beautiful...very interesting architecture and tons of natural lighting!!! We had pasta, bread, salad, and a glass of red wine. After lunch, Zeek and Natalia played a bunch of music on their guitar and violin, and we spent a good part of the afternoon just sitting around talking. It was such a wonderful and relaxing time!!!


On a final note, I will be returning to the US 3 wks earlier than expected...which actually means I only have about 2 wks left here in Guanajuato. I really enjoyed attending Don Quijote and have loved my volunteer work, but after 2 months here, I need to return to reality, finish studying for my nursing boards exam, and get moved and organized to start my RN position in Milwaukee in May.


In the mean time, I plan on enjoying the rest of my time here!!!